What is Vogue, Alex?
Yes, that’s correct. If you responded, “What is Vogue?” to the Sombrero or Vogue photo clue, then you are absolutely correct!
- Project Details: An all cotton sun hat to save my hair from any more fading.
- Pattern: This hat was made from Vogue pattern 7600 (V7600).
- Fabric: As called for, I used 100% cotton: Alexander Henry’s “All Cotton” in blue 1696A.
- Lining: I used some light moss green batiste from my mom’s scraps.
- Notions: ribbon. The pattern envelope didn’t call for ribbon, so this notion was a surprise in the instructions. I used some ⅞” striped, brown ribbon I had on hand.
- Pattern Description: There are four hats in this pattern by Patricia Underwood. I chose the hat designed with a large brim and a flat top crown. There’s a lotta lotta topstitching that’s both decorative and functional. This pattern uses quite a bit of fabric and interfacing because you have to cut out big, round pieces.
- FO looks like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope? Yes, I think my finished hat does look like the pattern envelope hat although I can’t get my brim to turn up so evenly. It’s all in the topstitching, methinks.
- Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, the instructions were easy enough to follow, but the notions list was incomplete.
- My particular likes / dislikes about the pattern: I forgot to read the pre-instructions, so I stitched a seam or two before I realized the seam allowance is ½” instead of ⅝”. It was easy enough to fix since I caught my mistake early. I don’t like incomplete notions lists, but I do like all the topstitching even though it took me about 2 hours to do it all. I think it looks great with the brim turned up, but if you leave the brim straight, it is very floppy.
- My pattern alterations / design changes: No mods! Can you believe it?
- Would I sew it again or recommend it to others? Yes, I think I would sew this sun hat pattern again. (I don’t think I’d ever sew the turban in this pattern.) I made the smallest size (21 ½” head circumference) even though my head circumference is 21 ¾”. It’s a smidgeon too tight, so I may make the medium size next time (22 ½”).